Monday, July 12, 2010

Today I Appreciate Mindless Task-Doing

I hate to admit it, but some days, there really is nothing better than just doing things that keep your body moving and prevent your brain from thinking too hard.

As much as I enjoy nourishing my brain (and, heck, I'm considering a profession where that's just about the only thing that is nourished appropriately), today was a day where I really didn't want think too much or too hard. So I didn't. I cleaned my apartment. I did laundry. I took another long run (here's to hoping this trend continues, right?). I mindlessly browsed through link after link on Facebook (as if this wasn't already one of your most-frequented webpages either). I read an excerpt from Google Books on how the Internet is changing the way we think (ironically enough. I suppose I'm a victim of this same kind of thinking!). I read nothing I didn't want to read today.

I'm trying to see this lack of commitment as refreshing. Is it sick/sad that after only a month of being out of school, I'm ready for school all over again? Perhaps it's because I don't know what else to expect. Perhaps I haven't had enough experience doing anything else to want to escape the structure of a classroom, but all of this freedom - I have to admit - is a bit overwhelming. I could do do SO MUCH, yet I seem to find myself paralyzed into not really doing a whole lot at all except for reading, reading, reading, and figuring out what's next. Maybe that's not such a bad thing and, indeed, that's probably what I should be doing right now. But I can't help but envy those with tidy internships/jobs, life-enriching planned vacations, or - O.K., another sick moment ahead - summer school.

I should probably stop before I hurt myself here, but this is what this blog is for, right? I am trying, after all, to appreciate all that's happening in my life no matter how hard it is to initially accept, right?

So, here I am quitting my belly-aching about having all the time in the world to do whatever I want. For most people, this would be a fantastic opportunity to really get to know one's self and discover who you really are. So from here on out, that's exactly what it will be for me, too. Here's the summer, where hopefully today's task-oriented mindlessness can be channeled into more of the baby steps I'm taking to tackle that thing known as becoming an adult.

1 comment:

  1. Er. What is this adult thing you speak of?

    ReplyDelete