Friday, July 9, 2010

Today I Appreciate Reviving Old Traditions

After our freshman year in college, my group of friends and I couldn't bear the thought of a summer apart. We had enjoyed almost every meal together and late night conversations and even the prospect of not being within walking-distance was unfathomably weird. So, we decided to start an online journal to update each other and keep each other in touch.

As with all great projects (notice a trend here with me and journals?), our flow of writing in the summer journal slowly petered out and eventually we all just sopped writing in it. There was really no good reason why we didn't keep it up. We just didn't.

Now that we've all graduated, though, we obviously won't be in contact in the same way. It's funny how friendships morph and evolve with time and distance, but one of my friends suggested that we revive the blog again. Before posting my own entry, I browsed through the archives, reading about our past travails. Initially, I was embarrassed by my reflections and the self-consciousness of my writing, but something was also refreshing about seeing how I've changed (even if it's only ever so slightly) and being able to chart my progress.

I like how our journal serves as a kind of time capsule of our time together, a way to preserve who we were and who we will become.

No comments:

Post a Comment