Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Today I Appreciate the Following Quote I Heard in Class:

"Optimists are simply people who don't have all of the information."

This, apparently, was something a raving, homeless man told one of my classmates on a New York subway. My classmate cited this quote because she will be teaching a course on the psychology of happiness (interestingly enough, eh?) and used this quote on her syllabus. A lot of other people in the class really didn't understand the purpose of the quote.

"Isn't that quote counter-intuitive to the idea of happiness?"

"Doesn't it seem really negative to say that optimists are also dumb?"

Well, no. See, I happened to really enjoy and appreciate this quote because it raises an importance distinction between optimism and happiness, namely that optimism and happiness are not the same thing.

What I've come to discover through both this blog and just by living and coping and trying to understand how I'm feeling and who I am is that being happy is not necessarily exuding unending hope or joy. In fact, I'm happiest when I'm simply satisfied, content, and at peace. As a consequence of satisfaction or contentment or peace, I may feel momentarily giddy that I enjoyed a pleasant book or discussed a great piece of writing or had a really wonderful, long conversation with a friend or had a fun social interaction, but rather extended periods of engaging in stimulating thought and enjoying true, loyal friendships with thoughtful people.

I'd still say that I have long way to go towards total, complete happiness, but I can experience moments of optimism that can raise my mood and can contribute to achieving long-term satisfaction.

See, the thing is, I agree with the crazy, homeless man (I hope this doesn't speak volumes about my own mental state). I agree that unquestioning hopefulness towards the world and a perpetually bright spirit indicates a sort of daftness and an inability (or perhaps even unwillingness?) to examine that which is in front of you. Optimism can be blind to circumstances that are negative. Optimism implies, for me, a sort of non-judgmental stance on the world. I wouldn't say that criticism and judgment necessarily lead to happiness either, but in order to find contentment, distinguishing (and therefore judging) between what's important to you and what isn't, what fits into your set of values and what doesn't, seems absolutely vital.

I feel as though optimism, too, can often lead to a lot of unhappiness. While hope in the face of conflict/loss/depression can be uplifting, it can also eventually lead to a lot of disappointment. After all, there are moments in which you shouldn't be hopeful; that's called delusion. Not that one should strive towards wallowing in never-ending pain, but one should at least face and accept one's reality before finding ways to heal and overcome said reality.

I'm making it sound as though being an optimist is easy (it isn't) and I still strive towards optimism more than pessimism in my own life, but adopting optimism without judgment or thought seems, to me, a destructive approach and one that doesn't contribute towards achieving happiness.

It's funny to me that I feel as though I can logically understand these concepts and this psychology and yet still not wholly apply it to my own life. These reflections, these thoughts are coming from someone who some days still feels overwhelmed with emotion, who still tries to overcome anxiety, sadness, and loneliness, and who still indulgently dialogues with herself about how no one else understands the magnitude of her suffering and other such angst. I can distance myself from such feelings when I want to, but other times it feels all-consuming.

Ultimately, this struggle is part of being - well - human, but here I am still figuring out how I fit in on the spectrum of happy and healthy people. I'm getting there, aren't I?

5 comments:

  1. When you were talking about the difference between optimism and happiness I couldn't help but be reminded of this cartoon:

    http://catandgirl.com/?p=1757

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is very interesting. i see your logic, but i'm not sure i agree, maybe it's on a basis of definition... i want to have this conversation in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked on a psych research project in college where the prof concluded that non-depressed people see the world more optimistically and depressed people see the world more realistically. Now this was 25 years ago, not sure conclusion still valid, but your blog reminded me of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many comments! Thank you!

    Joe: I love Cat and Girl so much. I've actually grown to appreciate it more with time... and that's a perfect strip.

    Jessie: Yes, we do need to talk about this in person. When I see you! Very excited for that.

    Saul: That research definitely makes sense, though I suppose that, unfortunately, puts me more in the latter camp. :) I'd like to think that optimism (that is, a willingness to see everything brightly and more positively) does not necessarily have to counter realism all of the time, but alas. Looking at the world "realistically" does not always garner the most positive results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenae, I love reading your writing--and wish I could forego all responsibilities today and continue on with your words that resonate deeply inside me. I appreciate you writing. Period!

    ReplyDelete