Saturday, January 3, 2009

Today I Appreciate Antonin Dvorak

The day before traveling anywhere always makes me feel anxious. It doesn't matter where I'm going, but I somehow always suspect that something on a plane trip home will go wrong.

I'm returning to UCLA to begin my winter quarter and all day I've been unable to focus on any one task, stay still for long periods of time, or settle my thoughts that keep racing over the same worries. Then, there is that distinctive melancholic feeling of plucking shirts off the hangers in my childhood closet and folding them back into the suitcase for the dreaded plane ride tomorrow, unsure of when I'll return to the comforts and freeing irresponsibility of being home.

Of course, I must remember that while nestling into home is soothing, it's not real life. It's not advancing who I am and it's not necessarily helping me grow. I'm returning to school! University! I'm taking an intensive course load, I write a column every week for the paper, I help run the literary journal, and I'm preparing to teach an undergraduate student-taught course in the Spring. I'll be busy. Exciting, I think?

Yet even with my bipolar feelings about change, there's one man's stable lyricism that calms me through everything: Antonin Dvorak, Romantic composer.

Classical music from the Romantic era is mercifully not the stuff of stiff-collared, wig-wearing European men, but rather is pulsing, alive, emotional, swelling music from the nineteenth century characterized by its attention to building tension and feeling in its melodies and rhythms. Romantic works are complex tangles of music, pulsing into crescendos in an instant then, often just as quickly, settling into soft, graceful lullabies. I often wonder why Romantic music isn't picked up more for movie scores.

Anyway, there are many Romantic composers from whom I could choose (Rachmaninoff, Liszt, Chopin, Schubert to name a few), but the charm of Dvorak never fades for me. Unlike some of his contemporaries, Dvorak's not a real show-off (my kind of guy. Too bad we're separated by thousands of years and continents). Sure, he creates sweeping stories and runs through the same gamut of rhythmical complexities as his mates, but there's a charm that underlies pieces like his "New World Symphony."

I'm with Dvorak and his orchestra all the way through each movement of each piece, following the story he constructs. The listener discovers whimsy in the musical creation of the "New World." I not only feel the emotions conjured by the melodies, but I also relate myself to the music and become lost in what it emotionally creates for me. It's a distraction - if you will - from the more pressing emotional concerns of my present and takes me to other imaginative parts of my mind and allows me to experience the beauty and joy of experiencing the range of emotions music can create.

Today, then, I appreciate Dvorak for the emotional support his music provides. Thank you.

4 comments:

  1. I thought you were talking about the keyboard:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi J! Funny, I was going to post about the keyboard too. I'd like to appreciate Dvorak the layout, which I use instead of QWERTY. It's so relaxed and smooth. When I started learning, I got a typing tutor program and learned the 'home row' keys: aoeuidhtns. But then the program said it was only a demo and I had to pay to use it to learn other keys. As it turned out, just with those 10 letters I could already type a huge fraction of what I needed, and could simply consult a chart for the rest. That's how efficient the layout is: I could almost type with just the home row. So that's my appreciation. One gripe, though: when you want to type one-handed, it's much worse than QWERTY because the vowels and common consonants are on opposite sides of the keyboard and you have to jump back and forth insanely.
    I don't know the other Dvorak's music that well, but in honor of you I'm going to put some on right now!
    Cheers!
    -xaq

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... considering the popularity of Dvorak keyboards, maybe I should devote an entry to those, too. :) I've heard from a ton of people that once you get used to it, one can never go back to QWERTY. I'm just so used to my keyboard; I can't imagine typing any other way, even though Dvorak makes so much more sense.

    However, it also must be good if it's named after one of the best composers ever. Xaq, I'm sure you know "New World," but listen to the "Slavonic Dances" if you haven't already. They're incredible, hypnotizing, emotional, and astonishing (is that enough adjectives?).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't help but recommend some more music by "one of the best composers ever." His Dumky Trio is not quite as well known as the "New World" symphony, but I like it just as much. Dumka is a traditional Slavic musical form characterized by abrupt changes from a slow, melancholy, haunting style to a rapid, exuberant, joyful style. It's as bipolar as music can get. It also helps that it has some great cello solos.

    Also, I like the background. It reminds me of Tetris.

    ReplyDelete