Friday, March 6, 2009

Today I Appreciate the Person in the Panda Suit

While walking to class today, I saw a giant panda.

Amazingly, this panda was not trying to sell me anything nor was he (or maybe she?) trying to encourage me to use soy bean paper or eat vegetarian. The panda just roamed campus, silent, its presence saying enough for itself.

I couldn't help but smile. The panda's ears were tattered, the black fur a little faded and matted, and its head unusually large, but the pure whimsy, the joy at seeing something out of the ordinary and joyful on campus made the day just a touch brighter.

This just proved to me that relishing in the absurd, embracing the ridiculous, and recognizing that life can - and should be - a little bit silly sometimes is incredibly valuable.

No comments:

Post a Comment